Vacancy ID: 82221
Agency: Financial Services, Department of
Title: Deputy Superintendent for the Health Bureau
Occupational Category: Administrative or General Management
Salary Grade: NS
Bargaining Unit: M/C – Management / Confidential (Unrepresented)
Salary Range: From $0 to $0 Annually
Employment Type: Full-Time
Appointment Type: Permanent
Jurisdictional Class: Exempt Class
Travel Percentage: 0%
County: New York
Street Address: One State Street
City: New York
Zip Code: 10004
Minimum Qualifications: At least five years of experience working for a company in the Health insurance sector, or at least ten years of experience working in Health insurance regulation; professional qualifications as risk manager, underwriter, claims specialist or legal officer; and demonstrated ability to manage large teams and multiple projects simultaneously.
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Duties Description: The Department of Financial Services (DFS) is seeking executive level applicants to fill the position of Deputy Superintendent for the Health Bureau in the Insurance Division. The Health Bureau is responsible for the supervision and regulation of the entire Health insurance industry in New York State and does so by establishing standards for financial solvency, market conduct and corporate oversight and produces regulations, while monitoring the compliance of regulated entities with such standards.
The Deputy Superintendent for the Health Bureau is responsible for assisting the Executive Deputy Superintendent for Insurance in all supervisory, regulatory and legislative issues related to the operations and activities of the Health Bureau. Working under the general direction of the Executive Deputy Superintendent for Insurance, and closely with the Superintendent, the position will function with great independence and authority, while serving as a valued member of the Superintendent’s Executive team in the following capacities:
• Assists in implementation of the Superintendent’s goals and objectives for the Health Bureau;
• Provides the Superintendent and Executive Deputy Superintendent with advice on issues related to the Health insurance industry and regulatory process; including licensing, certification, and fiscal solvency of accident and health insurance companies, Article 43 not-for-profit health plans, health maintenance organizations (HMOs), municipal cooperative health benefit plans, student health plans and continuing care retirement communities, including the review of financial statements and holding company transactions;
• Oversees and manages the daily activities and operations of the Health Bureau and its over one hundred full time employees, with responsibilities including oversight of the licensing, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) accreditation, and the examination and regulation of all Health insurers and related entities;
• Makes recommendations that are relevant to the issues based on a thorough understanding of the short? and long? range impact; including the review and approval of health insurance premium rates and policy forms, and reviews of provider networks for adequacy;
• Assists with establishing policies, procedures, guidelines and appropriate supervisory actions relating to the Health Bureau;
• Presides at or participates in meetings and conferences with insurers, representatives of industry organizations, the NAIC, other governmental agencies and the public on behalf of DFS;
• Ensures that the programs of the Governor and the agency are effectively and expeditiously implemented;
• Acts for and in place of the Superintendent or Executive Deputy Superintendent as necessary; and
• Develops a collaborative working relationship with other Divisions within DFS.
Additional Comments: Salary: Salary commensurate with experience.
Please note that positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment Status: This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class.
Appointment to this position is pending Division of Budget approval to fill.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Name: Nicole Pickel
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Street: One Commerce Plaza
Zip Code: 12257
Notes on Applying: To Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than September 3, 2020, to the email address listed below. Please include (Box DepSupHEALTH-07200) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 301
Albany, New York 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
- Address One State Street, New York, NY
- Qualifications Professional qualifications as risk manager, underwriter, claims specialist or legal officer; and demonstrated ability to manage large teams and multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience 5-10 years